I can’t believe I just discovered quinoa, 3 months ago. Where has this amazing grain been my whole life? 🙂
I’m smitten with quinoa…for a bunch of different reasons:
- It’s gluten free, wheat free, dairy free.
- It’s loaded with protein; this means it’s a great vegetarian meal option.
- A relative to leafy green veggies like spinach; quinoa is a sacred, “ancient grain” ~ once considered “the gold of the Incas.”
- Studies show, quinoa has been helpful for people who suffer from migraines, as it contains an abundant source of: magnesium (as well as iron, copper, & phosphorus).
- It’s easy to make and versatile ~ it practically goes well with anything.
I’ve been eating quinoa at least 3 times a week now, including some lunches. Below are a couple pairing ideas. You can find cooking directions on the quinoa box, internet; or listed below. Enjoy!!
- Cooking instructions: 1 cup quinoa = 1 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to warm/low for about 10-13 minutes. Fluff & eat!
- TIP: make a double batch and save some for tomorrow’s work-lunch!
You can start with a nice foundation of cooked, plain Quinoa + then add toppings/pairings later…
Adding raw veggies (i.e. tomato, red onion, avo, cucumber) keeps the dish really clean; giving you lasting energy…
Or saute’ up some veggies (i.e. green beans, sweet onion, peas, zucchini) for a heartier ~ cozier meal.
Lastly, one of my favorites: Pesto Quinoa. I found a DEEElicious, healthy way to make pesto. I omit the parmesan; but it somehow still tastes like the reg pesto. This was such a great discovery ~ it earned it’s own Blog posting (coming soon!).
Happy grains + greens people!